“The Ladies’ Work-Table Book” containing clear and practical instructions in Plain and Fancy Needlework, Embroidery, Knitting, Netting and Crochet. With numerous engravings, illustrative of the various stitches in those useful and fashionable employments.
Take a step back at a time when the women’s place was in the home…
The page of history informs us, that the progress of any nation in morals, civilization, and refinement, is in proportion to the elevated or degraded position in which woman is placed in society; and the same instructive volume will enable us to perceive, that the fanciful creations of the needle, have exerted a marked influence over the pursuits and destinies of man.
To become an expert needle-woman should be an object of ambition to every fair one. Never is beauty and feminine grace so attractive, as when engaged in the honorable discharge of household duties, and domestic cares.
The records of history inform us of the high antiquity of the art of needlework; and its beautiful mysteries were among the earliest developments of female taste and ingenuity.
Table of Contents:
- MATERIALS AND IMPLEMENTS FOR WORKING
- PLAIN NEEDLEWORK—EXPLANATION OF STITCHES
- PLAIN NEEDLEWORK—INSTRUCTIONS IN THE PREPARATION OF BODY LINEN
- PLAIN NEEDLEWORK—INSTRUCTIONS IN THE PREPARATION OF HOUSE LINEN
- PLAIN NEEDLEWORK—MISCELLANEOUS INSTRUCTIONS
- FANCY NEEDLEWORK—EXPLANATION OF STITCHES
- FANCY NEEDLEWORK—EXPLANATION OF PATTERNS
- FANCY NEEDLEWORK—INSTRUCTIONS IN EMBROIDERY
- FANCY NEEDLEWORK—PREPARATION OF FRAMES
- FANCY NEEDLEWORK—APPLICATION OF FANCY NEEDLEWORK TO USEFUL PURPOSES
- FANCY NEEDLEWORK—SPECIAL INSTRUCTIONS
- KNITTING—EXPLANATION OF STITCHES
- KNITTING—EXAMPLES IN KNITTING
- NETTING—EXPLANATION OF STITCHES
- NETTING—EXAMPLES IN NETTING
- CROCHET—EXPLANATION OF THE PRINCIPAL STITCHES IN CROCHET WORK
- CROCHET—EXAMPLES IN CROCHET
- TATTING—EXPLANATION OF STITCHES